Sunday, June 21, 2015

Not so Random Thoughts (an exercise in freewriting).

Hi Friends and fellow students,  

What you are about to witness is an exercise called freewriting.  The goal is to write for time, don't edit, don't judge what you are typing or writing on the page, just write.  So for this assignment I'm going to use one of the 'I Believe' statements from the post I just finished, and go for ten minutes, whether it ends up looking like a cohesive thought or not.  Are you ready?  I'm not.  You should go get a snack and then come back.  I'll wait, I don't mind.  Are you back?  I hope so.  This seems fun, let's see what happens.

Here we go in 3, 2,...

I believe wherever you are right now, it's temporary.  It seems like such a simple concept really.  Yet change catches us all off guard, all the time if you think about.  How many people do you know that didn't see something big coming along?  They thought they were in the job they'd retire from and then boom, let go, downsized, fired.  They then had to come to terms with life not going according to plan.  Did it turn out better?  Did it turn out worse?  Just remember, it's temporary.  I don't have the time to quote book, chapter and verse of the Bible to you right now, but there is a simple perfect verse to sum up this concept.  "It came to pass."  Simple concept right?  It's kind of mind blowing if you think about.  It didn't come to stay, it came to pass.  I'm borrowing this observation from a comedian I once heard remark on this subject.  I want to say his name was Mark Lowry, but I could be wrong.  It means enjoy it while it lasts, it means keep going if everything around you is burning to the ground.  If you still draw breath, keep going forward damn it!!!  I hope that wasn't too many exclamation points, but if you need the motivation right now I want to make that point exceptionally clear.  KEEP GOING!  Enjoy what's around you.  And if life is good, you know really good. Keep Going.  Things change, and if we don't keep going we can miss what's next.  I know, I've been there.  I was married once before.  I stopped moving forward.  Everything stagnated.  There was no direction, no goal for my life.  Just work, play, repeat.  When everything 'hit the fan' as like to refer to it, it was a shock, I was numb, it was unbelievable, I didn't know how or when things would be better, or if they could be better.  I have good friends though.  I have an amazing family.

AND time...

332 words in ten minutes.  

My apologies for the abrupt ending.  I hope you enjoyed it though. If not I'm sure you'll find a better post to read soon.  

1 comment:

  1. David,
    I like the way you threw a bit of humor into something that really makes one think. I'd never really looked at it in that light. I don't know why. But after reading what you have written, you are absolutely correct. Everything in temporary. Change is something that no one can stop. The world is ever evolving and it is something that we either accept or we don't. If we don't we remain stuck. We have to always keep going. Life is full of both good and bad. We have to accept it for what it is and keep going. I did enjoy your post.

    Lucas Newby

    ReplyDelete