Sunday, July 19, 2015

At the Fair...

7/19/2015

Almost there Friends,

I feel a twinge of regret for you, if you have never been able to experience a State Fair.  They are a site to behold.  I think an accurate description would be if a theme park like a Six Flags was a travelling salesman, or a gypsy.  

The people watching is a thing of wonder.  So many bad clothing and hair choices.  So little time to see them all.  The rides seem fun, and they sound fun, but with the added mystery of questionable safety.  When was the last time this thing was inspected for possible damage?  Now, to be fair, I have lived in my city all my life and there has always been a fair at the end of July, and to my knowledge there's never been a significant safety issue with a ride.  But the air of danger is there.

Then there is the food.  Oh the glorious deep fried concoctions to behold.  Deep fried Snickers, Oreos, Twinkies, and dough.  They just deep fry dough.  And it's amazing.  I have eaten all of these at one time or another without shame.

I remember being taken to the fair the day after my brother was born.  It was great, just me and my dad.  I got to ride either an elephant or a camel that day.  I'm pretty sure it was a camel.

But Friends, if you are lucky enough.  You too, may witness the spectacle that is a demolition derby.  I didn't see my first one until I was in my thirties.  I had been missing out.  The seven year old in me was witnessing live what it was like to actually get to crash cars together; and not just ram the same two Hotwheels together over and over again.  There was mud and fire and shirtless drivers with mullets hoping out of their now disabled vehicle in spite of the danger to their well being because they were pissed off about being eliminated.  I will never be the same.  If you get the chance.  Go see one.  It's worth your time.

Thanks,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment