Sunday, July 19, 2015

Weird Kid...

7/19/2015

Up late Friends?  Read on!

I thought I would share some of the weird things I did as a kid for this one.  It should be interesting, but, no promises.

Let's start with food.  I have to thank one of my favorite cartoons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for some of these, but not all.  No, I'm certain some of these creations are one hundred percent all me.

The easy one to remember is my own attempt to mimic said favorite cartoon by coming up with my own weird toppings for pizza.  In retrospect, they weren't that crazy.  I started with your classic yellow hot dog mustard.  I would add it straight from the bottle and just squirt some on each new bite.  From there I graduated to Miracle Whip.  Same approach as with the mustard.  I'd spread a little bit on the slice for each new bite.

From there I discovered such culinary masterpieces as grilling hot dogs campfire style indoors, over one of the stove burners set on medium high to high.  Our stove was electric, with the spiral heating element that would glow red hot on it's highest setting.  On the plus side, with a quick press of the hot dog to the heating element you could give yourself some bona fide grill marks on your dogs.  This is a practice that would continue thru high school.

My 'greatest' creation in the kitchen was a simple sandwich.  Bologna, two slices.  American cheese, but not every time, I don't think.  (it's been awhile, bare with me)  Raisins, a small handful.  And finally, a fine blend of cinnamon and sugar.  Also, there may have been mustard involved here as well.  But seriously, I ate this.  More than once.  Honest to God, I thought this was good.

There is more to share on this topic, but let's put that in a part two.

Thanks,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment