Thursday, July 9, 2015

Moving...

7/9/2015

Greetings from vacation!

I was helping some friends move recently and couldn't help but notice just how much stuff can accumulate in a short eleven years.

I find the thought of moving intriguing.  Bring up the subject and just look at the reactions you get.  I think some people would rather deal with getting the plague than be faced with cleaning, boxing up, and trucking all their belongings to a new destination.

The biggest thing I noticed is just how much 'stuff' can accumulate when you have your roots down for any length of time.  The odds and ends that held some small fond memory for you at the time you brought it into your home, quickly become the things you sacrifice in a heartbeat just so you don't have to deal with one more piece of 'crap'.

What's even more subtle is how quickly the amount of stuff you have in your home can accumulate.  That Blu-ray/DVD/VHS shelf that started out three quarters full when you assembled it, is now covered in a layer of dust thick enough to build a dust castle in and has stacks of movies balanced like a Jenga tower on top.

"Sure, I'd love to watch Last of the Mohicans, but it is providing key structural support for all ten seasons of Smallville at the moment.  Let's see what's available at Redbox."

If I could leave you with any sage advice.  It would be this, most of those things are just stuff.  I think we know the possessions we have that carry true meaning and memories.  The rest is just stuff and we'll be just fine if it goes away.  Besides, you can always help another friend move and take some of the stuff they don't want anymore, if you run out.

D.

1 comment:

  1. David,
    I can completely relate to your "stuff" comments. I have been looking around my house thinking about how I need to downsize. It's getting a little ridiculous, especially in my kids' rooms. I really like how you add humor to your posts, that makes it really fun to read.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete