Sunday, July 19, 2015

Final Reflection...

7/19/2015

Well Friends,

Here we are at the end of this assignment, and it's time to reflect about my experience and what I've learned.

First off, this was not as bad or difficult as I thought it might be.  I would have found it more enjoyable if I hadn't been so busy and therefore able to spend more time focusing on each individual journal entry.  I found that I don't hate it.  I could even see myself doing something like this on a regular basis if there were even a small number of people that enjoyed reading the random things I would talk about.

The biggest discovery I made is just how much I can get written if I give myself a timer.  It doesn't have to be a complete freewriting exercise, which I find very liberating as a writing practice, but the act of giving myself a set amount of time provides a good deal of focus.  If I find my mind drifting away from the task at hand it's easy to refocus since I only have 'X' amount of time left that I have to pay attention anyway.

If I were to critique myself it would be I don't think I gained any significant new writing tools.  It's not poor quality certainly, but I don't think my writing ability grew significantly.  I chalk that one up to a combination of lack of time, procrastination and a little bit of laziness if I'm being honest.

Would I do this all over again?  Maybe.  Having gone thru it I can say I would be far more consistent with trying to get an entry done per day instead of waiting to do several at a time and finding I had far more left to do than I intended at the beginning.  I would also use a timer for all of my entries to provide focus for getting the writing done.  I would also explore other writing/journal prompts and ideas from other sources far sooner than I did with this assignment.

Thank you to the small number of people that have probably read a few of these crazy posts, and the few comments that you've left.  They are appreciated.  Enjoy the rest of your summer.

David J Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment